Friday, July 24, 2009

Erie Canal Ride, Day 4, Quiz 4

Seneca Falls to Syracuse: 40 miles - and all day to ride it. As the quiz has been so popular I'll start with it. There is a street light in Syracuse that is a bit different. If I was a good photographer the picture would easily clue you in, but since I'm not, I'll also tell you that it has to do with immigration. Today's prize is used "Erie Canal Bike Ride" water bottle. (And No Maribeth, you may not have my "I love Mormons" t-shirt.)

But back to our story. We left Seneca Falls well rested and determined to relax and smell the roses along the way. What with only 40 miles, bright sun and summer temperatures it was guaranteed to be an easy day. And indeed, things continued fair as while riding into Weedsport we noticed (actually it was hard to miss being painted on the side of a bridge abutment) a sign for Burritt's Cafe. The place had great people, a great bakery and great coffee. Coincidentally, they also had roses!

S. stopped to smell them, but the caffeine kicked in soon and we were off. Next stop Sims store. While most of the riders strolled through the recreated canal-era store, S. and I oogled the adorable Buoy Boat. Okay, S. didn't think it was adorable he was impressed by the engine. A Lathrop single stroke blah, blah, blah. I just thought the boat was one of the cutest I'd ever seen.

As we rode into Syracuse on 4 and 5 lane roads without bike lanes, or shoulders I mentally switched into my usual rant about bike safely rules and how few bikers know them, especially as it became more and more apparent that this group was woefully uninformed. The final mile-long ride up the hill our tent city cooled me down a bit, as did the evening wandering around the Syracuse Zoo.

No comments: