Monday, November 26, 2007

The priceless value of good gear

After leaving work on Saturday I headed straight home. It was cold. It was dark. I was tired. But driving down RT 27 along the Mystic River I couldn't help but notice the decorated boats in the harbor. Looked like about 10 or more, their rigging strung with bright Christmas lights. The night was clear and calm so the reflection of the lights off the river was even more brilliant.

Pulling into my driveway I noticed a fair number of people walking toward downtown. Then, walking into the kitchen, which over looks the river, I noticed another decorated boat out in the channel. Hmmm. I didn't turn on the overhead light and a light went off in my head. It's the boat parade!

Oh, I so wanted to just curl up on the couch with my book (Deception on his mind, by Elizabeth George)...but it looked so cool out and I could imagine everyone gathering downtown near the bridge, watching the boats glide by, feeling all Christmassie. But I was tired...and it was cold...it looked like so much fun.

I changed out of my T-shirt and into a thermal techwich. Pulled on my Divergence Fleece and headed downtown. Gosh it was neat. There were lots of people lined along the dock everyone cheering their favorites and friends, and applauding for all the others. While watching the boats float by I also couldn't help notice what people were wearing. It's a serious side effect of working at ACO but you do tend to note jackets, and shoes too. So there among TNF Denalis, the puffy jackets, the wool sweaters I stood there warm and cozy and reflected on numerous conversation I'd had today on temperature ratings for jackets and "long underwear." We don't temperature rate our clothes. It's impossible. People run at their own set points, wind greatly effects temperature, as does activity level. Maybe we should switch to a common sense rating instead, with an added provision that no matter what you get, make sure its the good stuff. But for the moment I shrugged and joined in the fun of the parade and officially started the holiday season.

Merry Christmas Everyone!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You should've joined us at the VRC. We had Oatmeal Raisin Cookies, hot apple cider and Dante was there with Gerald and I. Glad you saw it though, and being the wife of one who works for ACO, I've noticed that I notice those things as well. Since our convo's always seem to be about gear these days. Oh well. Merry start to the Christmas Season :)