Saturday, November 10, 2007

Adventures in Retail

As there are no travel plans until February and I've gone back to work at EMS for the holidays I thought perhaps I'd start writing a bit on the exciting and dangerous events that are everyday occurrences in the average, declining American mall.

Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, business establishments, events, or locales is entirely coincidental or believe me, they should be.

To tell you the truth, I'm not sure how this adventure will turn out. Last season, while I still wore my favorite Santa Hat and little lights necklace, I didn't really have the holiday spirit. Working in retail, the front line of the Christmas commercial battleground, is not conducive to the Holiday Spirit, even for someone who loves being a kid as much as me. And then there is the physical aspect. Sure I'm still riding for about an hour everyday but I may not be in good enough shape to work a four, or even 7 hours shift standing on concrete. I can hike for 8 hours, no problem, but standing, shuffling, etc. is really hard. Last year I developed a crippling disease I called "Mall Leg" a condition that results from standing, and sort of leaning on one leg, leading to an extremely sore hip joint. Guess it's time to find out if it's a reoccurring disease.

No comments: