Wednesday, November 28, 2007

The Hazards

So far I've mostly described the joys and benny's of working of ACO, but least you think it's all fun and games I must now post on the hazards.

I have far too many shoes, way too many jackets, and there is a dry suit on sale that calls my name.

"Kelly" it says. "Have you been thinking about me?"
"Yeah" I sigh.
"You'll rarely get the chance to purchase a suit so good at such a good price."
"I know. But do I really even need a dry suit?"
"Of course!! Someday you'll be wanting to kayak through the ice in the winter. Even now, it wouldn't hurt for you to wear one."
"But I think a wet suit would be more practical, and much cheaper."
"Water temperature is dropping. You've only got 10 seconds to live once you hit the water. And it's a ghastly way to go."
"It's not like I'm sea kayaking right now. I'm mostly in the river and a wet suit would give me time to get shore, IF i fell out."
Realizing he's making little headway using logic, the suit switches tactics, "But wet suits are dull. Blues and blacks. I'm a bright, happy, cheerie mango and radish."
"You mean, yellow and blue? Yeah, I'd look like a bouy. Now, wet suits, they're hot."
It's the suit's turn to sigh knowing it can't win that one.
"And besides" I add while walking away, "I've really got to put my money and my time into the bike trip right now."

But still, every time I walk by I hear it, low, and soft, but still audible, still seductive..."You'll never get a chance like this again.

Buy me now.
Buy me now.
B u y m e n o w."

No comments: