Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Courthouse Butte – a circumnavigation – counterclockwise


Sometimes you do get to go back and do it over, even undo it if necessary.Last December on my last morning in Sedona I started the hike around Courthouse Butte.It was early, but not early enough as I only was able to go ¼ of the way before having to turn back to catch the plane.

This morning I put on my new Chaco sandals, returned and finished the hike.
Courthouse Butte is located in Oak Creek, a village 10 miles south of Sedona. The red rocks here are the leading edge of the Mongolian ridge so while the
Butte and its close buddy, Bell Rock, are identifiably red rock formations in front of several others the land slopes gently south from their bases.
In general the walk is level, the trail wide and soft from the sandstone. There are flowers blooming everywhere.We saw the first of what will soon be thousands of prickly pare cactus flowers, as well as a blooming agauve. Some parts of the trail follow a dry steam wash, while others wind through the flatlands.



There were several people riding mountain bikes on one section – if I lived here I’d certainly have to get one of those. But as it is, I think I’ve got everything I need

1 comment:

Amy said...

Hey Mom! Your pictures are beautiful, I'm super excited of your hiking, and I can't wait to see you in 17 days!!!
Love,
Amy