Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Take Me To the River 3/13/2007


I thought I was going to Utah but it turns out I'm going to the headwaters of the Virgin River.

But first back to the plane. The ride was loooong but uneventful.("The Family Fortune" is an excellent book) After leaving Phoenix I did see Sedona and San Francisco Mountain off to the East. Then we flew over the Grand Canyon making this trip the perfect follow up to December's.

Las Vegas...hmmm...The song "Leaving Las Vegas" came to mind a number of times as I pulled out of the rental car lot and headed North as fast as I possibly could. Not much to see in Nevada. Guess the highlight would be scorching hot weather and the yellow flowers which I believed to be Santolina blooming by the side of the road. Then the road turned into Arizona and a wall loomed up before the highway and before I knew it a gap opened in the wall out of which the Virgin River Flowed. From all I'd read of Zion the highlight was hiking up the "Narrows" of Virgin River, but here was that same river. I-15 climbed into the high desert alongside the canyon and leveled out around 3000 ft. The road was pretty uneventful after that unil St. George, Utah when the Red Rock reappeared. Turning East on 9 the hills closed in, while at the same time the views up the valley began to be more breathtaking.

It took 4 hours, 1.5 longer than I'd thought, but soon I arrived at Springdale, UT. El Rio Lodge was "right there where the map said it would be" and the people just as friendly as the Lonely Planet Guide book reported. It was 4:00. Sunset wasnt' for another 4 hours. I threw my bags in the room and headed off to the Park.

First off let me say that Springdale is the cutest, but still realest town that is entirely supported by tourism that I have ever seen. Secondly, I say that the tourists that are here - and you can tell its no where near peak - are all outdoor hiker types.

So...I drove up the center park road, stopping at the Zion Lodge parking lot so I could hike the Emerald Pools Loop. I loved it!!! Pictures are here and also available on my Picassa web album. I'll try and add captions to the photos so they make sense. They are all so beautiful and the pools were just lovely. I, of course, had to wade in them.

And it was while I was wading in them that it occured to me...even though its not supposed to be possible this time of year...perhaps with the weather being as unseasonable warm as it is (tomorrow is supposed to be in the 80's) I could actually hike "The Narrows" - a 10 mile hike up the stream bed of the Virgin River. Back in Springdale I checked with an outfitter and they said that people are indeed hiking the Narrows. They rent water shoes and dry suits (the water temperature is 40 - and 3 hours is too long to spend wet in 40 degree water). I'm going to sleep on it. The down side is I can't take the camera, and it will take all day. The upside is I Get To Walk The Narrows!

No comments: