Saturday, March 17, 2007

Swiftly flow the days


Like most days so far a lot has happened between sunrise and sunset.

Sunrise was observed at Bryce Canyon amoungst an international group of fellow sun worshippers. When I reached the point at 7:14 there was already a couple there from Italy. We were soon joined by a Japanese couple a group of Germans and I believe two Frenchmen. How amazing is it to know that people come from all the world to see this country. We were all equally impressed with what we saw. I've uploaded a series of photos to the album.

After sunrise I headed East toward Escalante and the Grand Staircase National Monument. The next time someone challenges you to name something good Bill Clinton did you may now, irregardless of your political affiliation, grandly state that he set aside this vast, varied and unique tract of land in Southern Utah for the enjoyment of future generations. The 60 mile drive to today's hiking destination climbed to an elevation of 8000ft and traversed Ponderosa Pine forest, desolate desert, amazing sliprock and red canyon country.

After turning several bends along rt 12 and exclaiming, "Oh my god" after each one I reached the trailhead for Lower Calf Creek Falls. As the guidebooks says "this trail follows the year round creek through a spectacular canyon to a 126ft waterfall." During the 6 mile hike I also saw picturographs, and trout and got a small taste of a summer day in the desert. I think they must be extremely HOT. Most of the trail was sand and I walked most of it in barefeet. In the morning the sand felt cool by afternoon I about burnt my feet to match the rest of my quickly sunburning body. And the Falls, as you can see for yourself, were just - well- just like a miracle.

After the hike I retraced the route West past Bryce and South past Mt Carmel arriving in tonight's town, Kanab, at 5pm. The exact time everything closed down. This being a very religious area, most of the establishments are also closed tomorrow. After some cruising up and down the strip however I did locate an Outfitter/Bookstore/Coffee shop (Another Miracle!) which is open tomorrow. Now that I had the important details taken care of I checked into the BobBon Inn, sat down on my second story balcony and watched the sunset over the red canyon walls to the West.

PS "Desert Solitaire" is a classic.

No comments: