Sunday, March 18, 2007

Sandstone, Sliprock and Slot Canyons

Today's adventure started out at the Miracle Outfitters/Bookstore/Coffee shop with a smooth French Roast, a book entitled "Hiking and Exploring the Paria River," and a chat with the clerk. A young woman originally from Wyoming, Jane moved to Kanab for 2 reasons - she likes the warm weather, and there is so much to do in the area. It was she who recommended the book. She also filled me in on Latex Larry. Yesterday I neglected to describe the town of Kanab, where I'm staying. If I had to describe said town in one sentence I'd say, "Kanab is the kind of small town located on a busy highway that has to park a police car with dummy at the beginning of town just to get travelers to slow down." And that Police Cruiser is parked right outside my hotel door, and it's occupant - according to Jane is named Latex Larry.

It was the book however that pointed me in the direction of Buckskin Gulch. After driving 40 miles to the BLM office I obtained the official map with directions and proceeded to the Wirepass Trailhead. The next 4 hours were spent exploring part of the longest slot canyon in Utah "and all the world". To reach the canyon I hiked along a wash through sliprock country, areas were the sandstone had been twisted and turned into amazing shapes and textures revealing banding patterns that are beautiful. Then while temperatures rose into the upper 70's I slipped into the slot canyons. Sometimes the canyon must have been over 100ft deep, 3 ft wide and 20 degrees cooler than outside.

After that I headed back to Kanab, which also happens to have one of the best Mexican Restaurants I've ever had the pleasure to dine at. Then it was back to the Bob Bon Inn for some R & R, and a chance to finish reading "Hiking and Exploring the Paria River," which is also full of local history.

1 comment:

Amy said...

My roommate Abby and I are jealous of your hiking!
Love you,
Amy