Thursday, March 15, 2007

Observation Point

Distance: 8 miles round trip
Duration: 5 hours
Challenge: Difficult
Elevation Change: 2150 ft.
Temperature variation: 45 - 80 degrees

After uploading everything last night I got into a conversation with a German hiker who was also using the internet. He was hiking the Narrows today - so I told him all about that. He'd hiked to Observation Point, and told me all about that. I mentioned that I was thinking of attempting Angel's Landing. He showed me a picture he'd taken - of Angel's Landing looking down from Observation Point...and the rest is history.

This morning at 9:00 after an excellent breakfast burrito I pulled into the Weeping Rock parking lot and started climbing. To whomever built all those switchbacks I promise my eternal gratitude. The views were beautiful. wonderful. The climbing enjoyable.

Once again the first people I met were European. The Americans would come later. Guess the Europeans just get up earlier?

Half way up the visable mountain (you know how mountains have that habit of being much higher than the peak you can see), the trail turned a corner and entered a slot canyon. Cool.For awhile it went along a stream bed, then through a narrow section of shear Red Rock walls. Up close those walls are even more beautiful. The veining is so intricate, the colors vivid. Out of the canyon, the temperature started rising as the sun started sliding down the walls. Spring is obviously something that comes here in pockets. Every once in a while I'd see a plant flower that in other areas were still dormant. I love wildflowers and these were as sweet as any I've ever seen.

After hiking 2 miles I stopped for a rest under a Ponderosa Pine that sat off the trail. (Gerald - you're right those Honey Stinger Bars are excellent - could use a tad more chocolate - but really very good) Then started hiking another series of switchbacks. I too am thankful to the people who made these possible...but couldn't they have made them 5, maybe 6 feet wide? Maybe added an edge in some places where it went along shear 1000 ft drop? Okay. It was in this section that I had a panic attack. The fear of heights is a hard one to get over. I actually turned around. Walked down about 20 steps. Hugged the wall. Waited for my breathing to return to normal. Turned back around and never once taking my eyes from the path in front of me walked the remaining switchback section to the Ponderosa Pine Forest of the High Desert which leads to Observation Point.

The Point itself? The picture says it all.

Tomorrow I head for Bryce Canyon.

No comments: