Friday, March 16, 2007

Reading the Rocks

At 1:30 I sat down in the shade of a magnificent Ponderosa Pine. Having just completed the 6 mile Queen's Garden/Peekaboo Canyon Loop of Bryce Canyon. I needed a little break. It was at just this moment that a hiker came up behind me asking for the time. When I told him he told me that at 2:00 a Park Ranger/Geologist was giving a talk at Sunset Point on the Geology of the Canyon. He'd "love to chat, but..." had to get to the talk...which was .6 miles and 1000ft above where we were. Out loud I wished him luck, under my breath I cursed his very existence.

The geology of Bryce Canyon and for that matter all of Arizona and Utah fascinates me. It is certainly unlike anything Dr. Hiscock covered in Geology 101 and although I'd read a few websites here and there the pieces just didn't make sense. Now here I was tired and hot but only .6 miles, 30 minutes and 1000ft from a real live person who was going to explain it all.

Have I mentioned I was tired? I'd woken up before sunrise in Springdale, eaten another of the Mean Bean's excellent Breakfast Burritos and driven East on RT 9 (stopping to take the obligatory photo of Checkerboard Mesa) and 89 arriving at the Canyon rim (elev. 8300) at 10:00. It's just like in the pictures, only now it was real. The colors of the hoodoos are so bright, their shapes so fantastic and without a seconds hesitation I started down, then up, then around. The hike was about 6 miles through fantastic landscapes of deserts, snowy valleys, ponderosa pine forests, hoodoos, spires, window walls, etc. All of which I took numerous pictures and now...I would have to climb up out of the Canyon at warp speed.

Did I mention that it was hot? But I did it! The Ranger's talk lasted about 45 minutes during which I finished off the water in my camelback and learned that the area all round here was at one point a giant inland lake surrounded by mountains of different chemical compositions and what unique combination of minerals allows the hoodoos to exist, or rather not erode. If you're lucky - some day I'll tell you too. I also learned why Zion is Zion, what's up, or down with the Grand Canyon and ... I'll tell you later. Needless to say the uphill sprint was worth it.

Now I'm bunking down at Ruby's Inn. (They've got a Western Theme thing going on) Turning in early. Didn't sleep all too well last night - kept having dreams of falling off cliffs and then when I did fall asleep dreamed that I jumped off them and was flying over the Canyon. Tomorrow I'm not sure what I'm doing except I know by nighttime I'll be in Kanab, Utah, about 70 miles South of here.

1 comment:

Amy said...

HEY MOM!!
Love the pictures and the entries. Your hikes sound gorgeous and I'm really jealous, I miss the great outdoors and wide open spaces. My friends Abby and Anna and I tried to find trees or hiking today and failed.
Love you!
Amy