Thursday, May 13, 2010

Fort Worth Water Garden - The next thing to being there

Being in the Desert Canyons of Arizona and Utah with the wide open sky above, the warm, skin-melting air all around, and a miraculous waterfall before you is one of the most wonderful experiences. But, if you can't be there, and you happen to be in Forth Worth the Water Garden is a great place to be; almost like being there.

Constructed of brown pebbly concrete, water everywhere, and selective plantings the Water Garden is a man-designed desert oasis. The conference I'm attending has sessions split between two hotels, each located on opposite sides of the Water Garden. Some times, I suspect, I selected a session just to have the excuse to walk through the Garden. Yesterday I took a little longer and shot a video by the "Active Pool" which, hopefully goes some little way to sharing the experience.

This morning I woke up early and spent some time by the quiet pool, which honestly is my favorite of the three pools. Composed of a large, shallow pool surrounded by Cyprus trees and contained within the peddled concrete walls, it reminds me of Calf Creek Falls in Utah. It's rare when a man-made place invokes in me, a feeling of restfulness and connection like this one. The photos just don't do it justice.

The designer of the park, Phillip Johnson, also designed the Glass House in New Caanan, CT as well as many other master works of architecture.

No comments: