Thursday, November 06, 2008

And another


When preparing for a trip there is always one type of book I look for. Technically, it's not a travel book but it is a book that's good for travel. This book, or these books, if you're lucky are set in the place you're going. Fiction or non-fiction, really doesn't matter. What does matter is that the setting, and the character of the area people is an important part of the story.

The recent passing of Tony Hillerman reminded me of this. Best known for his works about the American Southwest, more particularly, the Four Corners area, it was Hillerman's works that introduced me to the area and it's people. (Not to mention that his books are all in paperback and are easy to stuff in a backpack.) It's hard to say which book is my favorite, and I can't even pick between Jim Chee and Joe Leaphorn. They're all good and all good reads for traveling to the area.

Apparently, they are such good reads, and so descriptive that there are books for people who want to visit the places described in the book. Tony Hillerman's Navajoland: Hideouts, Haunts, and Havens in the Joe Leaphorn and Jim Chee Mysteries is probably one of the best. And I have to confess while driving through the Northwest corner of New Mexico I was drawn to Shiprock - just because it features so prominently in Hillerman's books.

But back to the topic...books for traveling that are not necessarily travel books. Sometimes they can make the trip.

PS. The next big trip will be to western North Carolina/Tennesse - anyone have any recommendations?

1 comment:

Amy said...

Although you know I read your blog, why are you not specifically asking me for recommendations?! I recommend this realllly hokey book called Mountain People, Places, and Ways. Don't buy that one.

When I was Googling that book, I found this one that looks interesting: Bloodroot: Reflections on Place by Appalachian Women Writers.

Also, you could look for books on the Appalachians, on the Blue Ridge Parkway, on Ashville (very cute town that you'll like), and on North Carolina textile mills (otherwise you will not understand my part of the state).

Love you!