Friday, March 01, 2013

Death Valley Preparation

During The Month, S.D. promised to take me on a trip anywhere I wanted to go. It being December and the start of winter I dreamed of somewhere sunny, with warm days and cool nights.

And Viola! Next week we're going to Death Valley.  Now I haven't missed all my friends vacation stories and facebook posts from Disney Land, Caribbean Cruises, and all the usual winter-time-get-away hot spots. And don't get me wrong, they all seem very nice.  I just wanted to go somewhere a bit different, and some where with lots of hiking and exploring options. Death Valley fits that bill.

After three straight weekends of snow storms, followed by 6 straight days of rain, I'm more than convinced this was the right decision, and the right time. The 2013 outdoor adventure season will officially begin for me next week

---

That said, in February I began compiling and working through the reading list:

Salt to Summit: A Vagabond Journey from Death Valley to Mount Whitney
This hiker's journey through the desert is the perfect intro to the area. The author talks a bit about the geography, the plants, animals, weather and history.

Land of Little Rain
Published in the early 20th century this little volume is more of a stream-of-consciousness telling of Mary Austin's interests and feelings about the area, its peoples and her times.

Hiking Death Valley: A Guide to Its Natural Wonders and Mining Past
This one I've only peeked through as I'm saving it for the plane and for while we there. It provides technical descriptions of the various regions and hikes in the area along with notes on what to look for. These range from rock formations to old mining tools, and it we're lucky, wildflowers.

However, as long as it's sunny with temps between 50 - 70, and as long as I've got S.D. with me, I'll consider myself very lucky. Actually - all I'll really need is S.D.



No comments: