Tuesday, November 30, 2010

The Tripyramids: When is a trail not a trail?


...when it's a rock slide. 

It was Thanksgiving Day morning and I was plastered to the side of North Tripyramid. Sure I'd read the guide book carefully noting that the trail climbed up a rock slide, covered 1200ft in .5 miles and was "difficult and dangerous in wet or icy conditions" where "ice may form early in fall" . And yes I certainly knew I had problems with heights. But still, there I was half way up a trail that was really a vertical rock slab and very close to freaking out. S.D was urging me to admire the view, all I could look at was the ice-covered granite 6 inches from my nose.

It took a while, some careful guiding by S.D. and many small steps but eventually we reached the cairn at the top and gratefully plunged back into the safety of the pines.
The rest of the hike was nice. We enjoyed a peanut butter and jelly sandwich Thanksgiving feast on the North summit, then hiked along the ridge to the Middle and South summits.  Descending via the loosely graveled South slide was anti-climatic, and I thoroughly enjoyed the view to the South, over the lakes region.We completed the 11 mile loop in good time and went home to cross two more of the 4000fters off the list.

2 comments:

Chris Dailey said...

That is not a picture of the North Tripyramid Slide. It's a picture of the Arrow Slide. I should know, because it is my picture that I took on 9/6/10. If you are going to use my picture please ask for my permission and label it correctly

below is a link to my trip report with the image that you used and mislabeled

http://dailey7779.blogspot.com/2010/09/arrow-slide.html

-Chris

Kelly said...

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the update.

I never said that was North Tripyramid slide, rather the point was that it was a slide and not a trail.

I removed your image. Happy hiking!