Saturday, February 28, 2009

End of one Adventure, the beginning of another

Retail, and shopping have always been the backbone of the American economy. So little did I know, two Decembers ago when I chronicled the highs and lows of working retail, I was documenting what might be the end of an era. Certainly it was the end of an era for me. What with moving, and EMS drastically cutting employee work hours, I am no longer working there and will probably never work retail again. From discussions with other EMSer's and watching the nightly news however, it is clear that retail, as an industry, and also as a pastime, has also reached the end of the adventure.

Watching shoppers storm the doors and paying full price for TNF Denallis and UGG boots this Christmas, even as the layoffs and recession had already begun I wondered, no I sincerely doubted that America could give up its shopping addiciton. I too have struggled with a bit of shopperholic syndrom, debating what and/or how much to buy before loosing my employee discount. How many pairs of smartwool socks and Asolo 520 boots are really enough? Will I someday want to go winter camping, and if so should I get the 0 degree bag? And what about the cute little Timbuktu mini messenger bag that I've had my eye on for months, but really have no need for. Should I get it now? Not that I need it. But for that matter, no one ever Needs UGG boots.

If I, minimilist that I am, am having this much problem giving up shopping (or rather buying) then what about the rest of America? What about those who on the most beautiful sunny spring day would come to the mall to buy hiking sneakers? (While I wanted to be hiking!) Now that they can't buy, what will happen to those who have have come to buy the experience rather than do it?

Take the Average American on an Average Weekend Day - you know the one they work all week for. What do they do? Well, traditionally they sleep late, work around the house, visit friends and shop. Did you know those same average American's spend 90 percent of their lives indoors. Who knows what the percent was that they spent shopping. But what will they do now? They could still shop. Shopping does not mandate buying, but it is bound to happpen. That is where the gratification comes in. Put it off as long as you want but if you spend all your time looking at stuff you utimately know you can't buy - it just sucks the fun out it.

So what will American's Do? As the economy continues to tank and spending becomes less and frequent what will fill the void? What brave new American will replace the American consumer? It is an adventure into the unknown.

No comments: