Saturday, June 14, 2008

The National, Modest Mouse and R.E.M.

When I was a kid I actually wondered what kind of music the kids would be listening to when I was an adult. Would I hate and fear it the way my parent's generation hated our music? (Yup, I was seriously that strange.)

Last night the question was definitely answered. Not only do I love the "kids" music, but they have moved music into new and more expansive territory.

The headliner for the concert was R.E.M. Michael Stipe, 3 guitars and a drummer. Nice vocals, thoughtful lyrics, good beat...you've heard R.E.M. That's what it sounded like.

But it was the 2 opening bands that really made the show.

The National is a Brooklyn-based indie rock band formed in 1999, by friends from Cincinnati, Ohio. There are at least 9 people in the band playing everything from traditional guitar to violin, trumpet, trombone, and I believe a basson (certainly it was from the oboe family). The sound was rich, complex and powerful.

And speaking of powerful, with two drummers backing up some serious guitar, not to mention an electric banjo. Modest Mouse was a driving powerhouse. Seriously, and electric banjo.

No comments: