Sunday, January 20, 2008

The Gym

Gymnasium is a Latin and English form of the original Greek noun gymnasion. Gymnasion is derived from the common Greek adjective gymnos (γυμνός), meaning "naked", by way of the related verb gymnazein, whose special meaning was "to do physical exercise". The verb had this meaning because one undressed for exercise. Hence the noun, which appears to mean "place to be naked", actually meant "place for physical exercise". Historically, the gymnasium was used for exercise, communal bathing, and scholarly and philosophical pursuits.

Considering the etymology of the word, the Greeks probably did not have Work Out World in mind when they referred to a gym. Not into being naked while working out however, it works fine for me. And although I would appreciate the scholarly and philosophical aspect, so far the closest we've come are "Shape", "Good Housekeeping," and "Cosmo". But irregardless, I've joined the gym for a month. Mostly so I can s l o w l y get back into bike riding. I don't yet have the flexibility to actually ride on the road but I've got to do something....and to make a long story short...I went to today, rode for 30 minutes, so far without pain, and was sooo happy to be moving again.

No comments: