Friday, May 05, 2006

Seven Sisters Hookie

Today, May 5th, was such a nice day that I took it off work and headed North to hike the Seven Sisters trail near Mount Holyoke. The trail is described as "Extremely hilly with 3,700 feet of climb consisting of many steep hills with hazardous footing in places due to the many sharp basalt rocks that comprise the elevated ridge of Mt. Holyoke." There were a few spots that I had to lift Isaiah down. Also, bike riding does really prepare one for hill climbs.


This is a view to the South off Bear Mountain.


Trillium WakerobinTrillium erectum. There were many clumps and single trilliums on the mountains. They are amazing and delicate.


Wild Columbine Aquilegia canadensis


This appears to be another variety. Don't know how well it shows in the photo, but the leaves are greyish. (Speaking of which, has anyone seen my wildflower book?)


When I wasn't looking down (at flowers and rocks) there were some great views. This one is to the Northwest. That's the Connecticut River.

All in all, it was a good hike.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a nice day! Wish I was there! I love the wildflowers, but I have a hard time remembering names. I'm impressed!